Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by GradStdnt on 14 Apr 2017
  • Recently!!  FGM in the US has been illegal since 1996.  I can't believe I am reading about a case now.  This Doctor should be thrown in jail and her license stripped for performing this barbaric procedure.  Every parent who brought their child to this doctor...for the "special girls trip" should be charged and jailed as well. 

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/victims-of-detroit-doctor-charged-with-fgm-told-they-were-going-on-special-girls-trip
  • #2 by Franco on 15 Apr 2017
  • Recently!!  FGM in the US has been illegal since 1996.  I can't believe I am reading about a case now.  This Doctor should be thrown in jail and her license stripped for performing this barbaric procedure.  Every parent who brought their child to this doctor...for the "special girls trip" should be charged and jailed as well. 

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/victims-of-detroit-doctor-charged-with-fgm-told-they-were-going-on-special-girls-trip

I couldn't understand why this is even done, but I guess it is explained here:

Cultural and social factors for performing FGM

The reasons why female genital mutilations are performed vary from one region to another as well as over time, and include a mix of socio cultural factors within families and communities. The most commonly cited reasons are:

Where FGM is a social convention (social norm), the social pressure to conform to what others do and have been doing, as well as the need to be accepted socially and the fear of being rejected by the community, are strong motivations to perpetuate the practice. In some communities, FGM is almost universally performed and unquestioned.
    FGM is often considered a necessary part of raising a girl, and a way to prepare her for adulthood and marriage.
    FGM is often motivated by beliefs about what is considered acceptable sexual behavior. It aims to ensure premarital virginity and marital fidelity. FGM is in many communities believed to reduce a woman's libido and therefore believed to help her resist extramarital sexual acts. When a vaginal opening is covered or narrowed (type 3), the fear of the pain of opening it, and the fear that this will be found out, is expected to further discourage extramarital sexual intercourse among women with this type of FGM.
    Where it is believed that being cut increases marriageability, FGM is more likely to be carried out.
    FGM is associated with cultural ideals of femininity and modesty, which include the notion that girls are clean and beautiful after removal of body parts that are considered unclean, unfeminine or male.
    Though no religious scripts prescribe the practice, practitioners often believe the practice has religious support.
    Religious leaders take varying positions with regard to FGM: some promote it, some consider it irrelevant to religion, and others contribute to its elimination.
    Local structures of power and authority, such as community leaders, religious leaders, circumcisers, and even some medical personnel can contribute to upholding the practice.
    In most societies, where FGM is practiced, it is considered a cultural tradition, which is often used as an argument for its continuation.
    In some societies, recent adoption of the practice is linked to copying the traditions of neighbouring groups. Sometimes it has started as part of a wider religious or traditional revival movement.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/female-genital-mutilation-what-is-it-cultural-and-social-factors
  • #3 by GradStdnt on 16 Apr 2017
  • I couldn't understand why this is even done, but I guess it is explained here:

Cultural and social factors for performing FGM

The reasons why female genital mutilations are performed vary from one region to another as well as over time, and include a mix of socio cultural factors within families and communities. The most commonly cited reasons are:

Where FGM is a social convention (social norm), the social pressure to conform to what others do and have been doing, as well as the need to be accepted socially and the fear of being rejected by the community, are strong motivations to perpetuate the practice. In some communities, FGM is almost universally performed and unquestioned.
    FGM is often considered a necessary part of raising a girl, and a way to prepare her for adulthood and marriage.
    FGM is often motivated by beliefs about what is considered acceptable sexual behavior. It aims to ensure premarital virginity and marital fidelity. FGM is in many communities believed to reduce a woman's libido and therefore believed to help her resist extramarital sexual acts. When a vaginal opening is covered or narrowed (type 3), the fear of the pain of opening it, and the fear that this will be found out, is expected to further discourage extramarital sexual intercourse among women with this type of FGM.
    Where it is believed that being cut increases marriageability, FGM is more likely to be carried out.
    FGM is associated with cultural ideals of femininity and modesty, which include the notion that girls are clean and beautiful after removal of body parts that are considered unclean, unfeminine or male.
    Though no religious scripts prescribe the practice, practitioners often believe the practice has religious support.
    Religious leaders take varying positions with regard to FGM: some promote it, some consider it irrelevant to religion, and others contribute to its elimination.
    Local structures of power and authority, such as community leaders, religious leaders, circumcisers, and even some medical personnel can contribute to upholding the practice.
    In most societies, where FGM is practiced, it is considered a cultural tradition, which is often used as an argument for its continuation.
    In some societies, recent adoption of the practice is linked to copying the traditions of neighbouring groups. Sometimes it has started as part of a wider religious or traditional revival movement.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/female-genital-mutilation-what-is-it-cultural-and-social-factors

I knew exactly why this is done in those barbaric savage Countries...it is a way to control women.  Those savages believe that women have zero impulse control over their bodies and are sex crazed.  So they remove the clitoris to destroy any pleasure that could arrive from sex.  Women are no more than slaves in those countries. 

When I first started nursing, I had a female patient either from the Sudan or Somalia that was hospitalized with a kidney infection.  She suffered chronic urinary tract infections.  She was ordered a catheter to drain the urine from her bladder because she could not pass urine.  I could not believe what I saw..she was a victim of FGM and there was so much scar tissure around her urethral opening I could not insert the catheter.  It was one huge mess down there.  The resident tried to put in the cath and he could not do it either without causing her a great deal of pain.  The procedure was so botched that it impacted her urethra.  We had to call a urologist in to insert a simple Foley catheter.  I had not been trained in FGM and did not know what to think.  After further investigation, these savages also will stitch up the vagina leaving an opening just big enough for the woman to pass blood from mensuration.  Imagine how painful intercourse would be from all that scar tissue... :o

This was allowed to go on for 12 years per the OP...12 years in the United States performed by a medical doctor.  If the people who believe in this practice should do it in their own countries and do not bring those barbaric practices here to the US.  Those little girls were 7 years old or so.   
  • #4 by Franco on 16 Apr 2017
  • I knew exactly why this is done in those barbaric savage Countries...it is a way to control women.  Those savages believe that women have zero impulse control over their bodies and are sex crazed.  So they remove the clitoris to destroy any pleasure that could arrive from sex.  Women are no more than slaves in those countries. 

When I first started nursing, I had a female patient either from the Sudan or Somalia that was hospitalized with a kidney infection.  She suffered chronic urinary tract infections.  She was ordered a catheter to drain the urine from her bladder because she could not pass urine.  I could not believe what I saw..she was a victim of FGM and there was so much scar tissure around her urethral opening I could not insert the catheter.  It was one huge mess down there.  The resident tried to put in the cath and he could not do it either without causing her a great deal of pain.  The procedure was so botched that it impacted her urethra.  We had to call a urologist in to insert a simple Foley catheter.  I had not been trained in FGM and did not know what to think.  After further investigation, these savages also will stitch up the vagina leaving an opening just big enough for the woman to pass blood from mensuration.  Imagine how painful intercourse would be from all that scar tissue... :o

This was allowed to go on for 12 years per the OP...12 years in the United States performed by a medical doctor.  If the people who believe in this practice should do it in their own countries and do not bring those barbaric practices here to the US.  Those little girls were 7 years old or so.

I know it isn't the same thing, but what are your thoughts on circumcision?  Should this be practiced today and should it be allowed to be carried out in a home as is often done in a ceremony by the Jewish faith as opposed to in a hospital by medical physicians? 

On the same note, do you think this is something that should be decided by the male when they are say 18 years old as opposed to be decided for them by their parents, usually soon after birth?
  • #5 by GradStdnt on 17 Apr 2017
  • I know it isn't the same thing, but what are your thoughts on circumcision?  Should this be practiced today and should it be allowed to be carried out in a home as is often done in a ceremony by the Jewish faith as opposed to in a hospital by medical physicians? 

On the same note, do you think this is something that should be decided by the male when they are say 18 years old as opposed to be decided for them by their parents, usually soon after birth?

I had always thought of Jewish circumcision on the kitchen table was a myth.  LOL  Personally, I feel a procedure like that should be done in a hospital.  I would have to see negative outcomes, such as infection or harm to the infant.  Circumcision is legal and 80% of American males are circumcised with only 10 percent of men who felt they should have a choice.  There is compelling evidenced based research on the positives of circumcision as far as health.  Some boys and men have issues once they get older.  My best friend from HS was a earthy type and wanted to raise her kids naturally and did not circumcise her son and ended up doing it when he was 12 due to issues.  It is a legal procedure and I would think it is easier to get a 3 day old infant to forgive you than a 13 year old forgiving you for not doing it if they need to be circumcised.  Today, they would just google it while they were suffering from recovery, bellowing, "Mom, you such, why did you not do it when I was born"  LOL  :)    There is a social stigma about it too, with 80% circumcised, the locker room would not be fun if you were the only one, and when you start dating, risking a girl screaming "Ewww gross" and running away to tell every friend she knows.  LOL  I would have it done, if I had a son, I think he would appreciate it later on. 
  • #6 by Franco on 17 Apr 2017
  • I had always thought of Jewish circumcision on the kitchen table was a myth.  LOL  Personally, I feel a procedure like that should be done in a hospital.  I would have to see negative outcomes, such as infection or harm to the infant.  Circumcision is legal and 80% of American males are circumcised with only 10 percent of men who felt they should have a choice.  There is compelling evidenced based research on the positives of circumcision as far as health.  Some boys and men have issues once they get older.  My best friend from HS was a earthy type and wanted to raise her kids naturally and did not circumcise her son and ended up doing it when he was 12 due to issues.  It is a legal procedure and I would think it is easier to get a 3 day old infant to forgive you than a 13 year old forgiving you for not doing it if they need to be circumcised.  Today, they would just google it while they were suffering from recovery, bellowing, "Mom, you such, why did you not do it when I was born"  LOL  :)    There is a social stigma about it too, with 80% circumcised, the locker room would not be fun if you were the only one, and when you start dating, risking a girl screaming "Ewww gross" and running away to tell every friend she knows.  LOL  I would have it done, if I had a son, I think he would appreciate it later on.

Not a myth for sure and personally, how is changing the way a person is born "better" for them?  There are millions uncircumcised and have no problems in life as they are taught how to properly care for it and not automatically cut.  10% say they should have a choice????  Hell, they don't care now because they know no better as it was done as a child...lol

If a woman judges you upon being cut or not, would you really want a woman THAT shallow? This is a carried over barbaric practice perpetuated by religious belief...nothing more.  Can infection set in? Yes it can, the same way as if you do not clean anything properly on your body.
  • #7 by GradStdnt on 19 Apr 2017
  • Not a myth for sure and personally, how is changing the way a person is born "better" for them?  There are millions uncircumcised and have no problems in life as they are taught how to properly care for it and not automatically cut.  10% say they should have a choice????  Hell, they don't care now because they know no better as it was done as a child...lol

If a woman judges you upon being cut or not, would you really want a woman THAT shallow? This is a carried over barbaric practice perpetuated by religious belief...nothing more.  Can infection set in? Yes it can, the same way as if you do not clean anything properly on your body.

Oh come on...LOL.  As an Italian Catholic, you guys are the first to support circumcision.   8)   It really isn't a religious belief anymore, atheists cut their sons as well.  All religions do it.  There is compelling evidence that uncircumcised men propose a significant risk to female partners and cervical cancer. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3036761/

http://www.webmd.com/cancer/cervical-cancer/news/20110106/male-circumcision-cuts-womens-cervical-cancer-risk#1

As far as shallow, a grown woman may not be shallow and opened minded, but a teenage girl or boy for that matter are as shallow as they come until they mature and experience life. 

I would bet the farm you circumcised your sons when they were born and you are among the 80% who are cut as well.  Are you longing for your foreskin?   LOL    ;)
  • #8 by Franco on 20 Apr 2017
  • Oh come on...LOL.  As an Italian Catholic, you guys are the first to support circumcision.   8)   It really isn't a religious belief anymore, atheists cut their sons as well.  All religions do it.  There is compelling evidence that uncircumcised men propose a significant risk to female partners and cervical cancer. 

You are correct here in the US, but statistics show otherwise, especially in Europe... The largest percentage below is all about religion as it is VERY prevalent for Jews and Muslims...Christians in the USA are big on it, but look across the world and see the stats.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3036761/

http://www.webmd.com/cancer/cervical-cancer/news/20110106/male-circumcision-cuts-womens-cervical-cancer-risk#1

I can link just as many documents against the procedure and no affect on women comparatively across the world... less then 1% even get UTI infections...

As far as shallow, a grown woman may not be shallow and opened minded, but a teenage girl or boy for that matter are as shallow as they come until they mature and experience life. 

It is just the way you were raised...if you were raised in the UK, more than likely you wouldn't care either way...lol  You just happen to live where 75% of males have it done.

I would bet the farm you circumcised your sons when they were born and you are among the 80% who are cut as well.  Are you longing for your foreskin?   LOL    ;)

Can't long for what I never saw...lol  The question is whether or not it is needed and most of it is done not for medical reasons, but the parents beliefs and how they were raised. The new thoughts across the medical world are not supporting the procedure.  Look at the rates per country below...then think about the religions there...

Prevalence of Male Circumcision by Country
    Percent of Men Who are Circumcised, ranked highest to lowest %

This survey was 10 years ago...bet they are even less circumcised now...

http://www.photius.com/rankings/circumcised_men_country_ranks.html

• #9 by GradStdnt on 22 Apr 2017
  • #10 by admin on 23 Apr 2017
  • Oh come on...LOL.  As an Italian Catholic, you guys are the first to support circumcision.

Actually,  I don't know  many Catholics who support circumcision. Most of my Catholic friends (especially those from Spanish-speaking countries and Portugal) are un-circumcized.  My Jewish and Protestant friends, on the other hand. . .
  • #11 by Franco on 23 Apr 2017
  • Actually,  I don't know  many Catholics who support circumcision. Most of my Catholic friends (especially those from Spanish-speaking countries and Portugal) are un-circumcized.  My Jewish and Protestant friends, on the other hand. . .

This is true...I have more than a few friends that came here from Italy whenever they were in their teens and only then did they get circumcised. 
  • #12 by GradStdnt on 28 Apr 2017
  • I am a little surprised to see that circumcision comes up in "man talk".  How does it come up in conversation?  LOL   This proves that men talk about their pee pee's all the time.   ;D ;)
  • #13 by Franco on 28 Apr 2017
  • I am a little surprised to see that circumcision comes up in "man talk".  How does it come up in conversation?  LOL   This proves that men talk about their pee pee's all the time.   ;D ;)

Ummm yea, we have to talk about it since Friday night Sword fights is in vogue these days....  8) :P

Let's just say it is known and the last thing "Men" talk about is their penis unless they are mentally still 12 years of age - or better known as "Monkeys" in your neck of the woods...lol  :-*
  • #14 by GradStdnt on 03 May 2017
  • Ummm yea, we have to talk about it since Friday night Sword fights is in vogue these days....  8) :P

Let's just say it is known and the last thing "Men" talk about is their penis unless they are mentally still 12 years of age - or better known as "Monkeys" in your neck of the woods...lol  :-*

Bull...all men are adolescent monkeys...there are just varying degrees of it.   :P   
Pages:
Actions