Political Blogs and Websites

News & Articles

Ads

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2017, 01:13:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ads

Author Topic: University of Virgina  (Read 1078 times)

GradStdnt

University of Virgina
« on: November 24, 2014, 08:36:35 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/22/us/university-of-virginia-sexual-assault-allegations/

(CNN) -- The University of Virginia is suspending all fraternities and associated parties until January 9 following a Rolling Stone magazine article that described a student's account of being gang raped and her frustration at trying to bring her alleged attackers to accountability.
"The wrongs described in Rolling Stone are appalling and have caused all of us to re-examine our responsibility to this community," school President Teresa A. Sullivan wrote in a statement to the university community. "Rape is an abhorrent crime that has no place in the world, let alone on the campuses and grounds of our nation's colleges and universities."

I was a little sister of Theta Chi in the 80's and never saw anything that went on like this.  The Greek traditions such as Fraternities are necessary and I don't understand why we are blaming the fraternities for these crimes.  I think the dialog between parents and sons is the reason we are seeing this behavior..a true lack of respect for women.  Back in the day...you could pass out in a guys bed and wake up with a blanket over you and a waste basket by your head....and guys who took advantage of passed out girls were considered douche bags by their peers...now they are glorified.  We took care of each other back then.  Another question...from what I remember...the campus police would not be the one to call if something like this happened.  You called the city or local police to handle matters like this.   

Imajeenyus

Re: University of Virgina
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 09:03:41 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/22/us/university-of-virginia-sexual-assault-allegations/

(CNN) -- The University of Virginia is suspending all fraternities and associated parties until January 9 following a Rolling Stone magazine article that described a student's account of being gang raped and her frustration at trying to bring her alleged attackers to accountability.
"The wrongs described in Rolling Stone are appalling and have caused all of us to re-examine our responsibility to this community," school President Teresa A. Sullivan wrote in a statement to the university community. "Rape is an abhorrent crime that has no place in the world, let alone on the campuses and grounds of our nation's colleges and universities."

I was a little sister of Theta Chi in the 80's and never saw anything that went on like this.  The Greek traditions such as Fraternities are necessary and I don't understand why we are blaming the fraternities for these crimes.  I think the dialog between parents and sons is the reason we are seeing this behavior..a true lack of respect for women.  Back in the day...you could pass out in a guys bed and wake up with a blanket over you and a waste basket by your head....and guys who took advantage of passed out girls were considered douche bags by their peers...now they are glorified.  We took care of each other back then.  Another question...from what I remember...the campus police would not be the one to call if something like this happened.  You called the city or local police to handle matters like this.

This isn't going to sound good for the males of our species, but male youth + hormones + mob mentality is a dangerous thing. Fraternities (IMO) are somewhat mob like. There's things that have to be done to be in an "exclusive" club and an expected secrecy.  "The more beer the better" The more chicks the better" etc.

Franco

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 09:08:19 PM »
This isn't going to sound good for the males of our species, but male youth + hormones + mob mentality is a dangerous thing. Fraternities (IMO) are somewhat mob like. There's things that have to be done to be in an "exclusive" club and an expected secrecy.  "The more beer the better" The more chicks the better" etc.

lol... this never happened back in the day... the 80's!  hehehe...  :-* :-*  This IS what happens when kids get out of their parents house, exposed to drinks and drugs and no time limits or curfews...Remember the movie "Porkies"?  This was done back in the 40's and 50's as well...

emilynghiem

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 02:03:52 AM »
http://legalinsurrection.com/2015/07/college-sex-contracts-life-imitates-parody/

Here's an interesting take on an idea that some colleges already use.
What if this approach was made optional for district residents to follow, as part of the civics association ordinances, and not just college campuses?

If health care benefits were paid out "inversely proportional" to crime rates per community/district, wouldn't that give financial incentive to prevent and reduce crime.
So the tax dollars saved could pay for expanding health care instead of feeding courts and prisons, and bureaucratic jobs that profit off crime instead of prevention.

Ads

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 15039
  • Total Topics: 930
  • Online Today: 22
  • Online Ever: 164
  • (December 08, 2016, 02:53:48 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 7